Wrongfully Convicted to Receive Increased Compensation in New Jersey


Last Friday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed into law a bill that will increase the amount of compensation that wrongfully convicted people can receive from the state for each year they were wrongfully imprisoned. Under the new law, exonerated individuals in New Jersey will be eligible to receive statutory damages in the amount of $50,000 for each year they were in prison. Previously, they received either a max of $20,000 or twice that of their annual pre-conviction income for each year served.  

Christie conditionally vetoed the bill earlier this year because he objected to certain provisions, including one that tied the amount of the award to the Consumer Price index, which tracks inflation. He also struck down a provision that would have made it possible for inmates who falsely confessed to crimes they did not commit to also be eligible for state compensation.   According to the

Star Ledger

, Christie said in his conditional veto message, “A person’s own decision to enter a false plea, under oath or in court, could lead to the payment for the imprisonment that flowed from the defendant’s own misstatement. … In that particular situation, providing payment for ‘wrongful imprisonment’ is not justified.”

New Jersey is one of 29 states, and the District of Columbia, that provides compensation to residents who have been wrongfully convicted. The

Philadelphia Inquirer

reports that New Jersey settled 20 wrongful-imprisonment cases between October 2007 and September 2012 for a total of $2.2 million. 

Prior to this bill being signed into law, the state’s compensation levels were last updated 16 years ago.
Read the full story


Leave a Reply

Thank you for visiting us. You can learn more about how we consider cases here. Please avoid sharing any personal information in the comments below and join us in making this a hate-speech free and safe space for everyone.

This field is required.
This field is required.
This field is required.

DAVID THOMAS April 27, 2021 at 9:37 pm Reply   


James McClary August 20, 2018 at 9:59 pm Reply   

How and where do l apply for compensation for a wrongful conviction?

See More

We've helped free more than 240 innocent people from prison. Support our work to strengthen and advance the innocence movement.