Exoneree Compensation in Alabama

In order to be eligible to receive compensation for wrongful incarceration a person must: (1) Have been convicted by the state of one or more felony offenses, all of which the person was innocent, and have served time in prison as a result of the conviction or convictions; or (2) have been incarcerated pretrial on a state felony charge, for at least two years through no fault of his or her own, before having charges dismissed based on innocence. Minimum of $50,000 for each year of incarceration, Committee on Compensation for Wrongful Incarceration can recommend discretionary amount in addition to base, but legislature must appropriate any funds. Effective: 2001.

Read the statute.


We've helped free more than 240 innocent people from prison. Support our work to strengthen and advance the innocence movement.