Marty Tankleff, who served 17 years in New York prison after being wrongfully convicted of killing his parents, will not be retried in the case, the Suffolk County District Attorney announced today. Tankleff, who has consistently maintained his innocence in the case, was released last week on bond after a panel of appellate judges tossed his conviction due to new evidence in the case.
"It is no longer possible to reasonably assert that the case … would be successful," Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.
He said his office will formally drop the indictment against Martin Tankleff in the 1988 deaths of Arlene and Seymour Tankleff at a scheduled Jan. 18 court conference in Riverhead.
Read the full story here
. (New York Times, 01/02/08)
Since his release last week, Tankleff, 36, has spent time with relatives and yesterday visited the graves of his parents.